Punky Talk #4: Dr. Fabian Kempf
The specialist for virtual classrooms firmly believes: “Poorly modelled 3D avatars are not helpful in the virtual world.”
Our fourth Punky Talk is fully dedicated to the topic of virtual classrooms. After all, digital lessons are the best answer to the corona pandemic and the associated prohibition of contact in many places.
The article “Rock 'n' roll in the (virtual) classroom” already examined in detail what a virtual classroom is and how it works. It then goes on to present three providers of virtual classroom tools. Vitero is one of these providers. The highlight of the Vitero software is its user interface. It depicts a meeting room of sorts which is based on the real world and arranges lesson participants around a conference table. Nevertheless, Managing Director Dr. Fabian Kempf firmly believes that poorly modelled 3D avatars are not helpful in the virtual world. In this interview, he shares his tips for adding opulence and glamour to the virtual classroom instead.
Summary of key points from the interview
- Virtual classrooms can help companies through the difficult corona period, and even save them from bankruptcy.
- Since speed is paramount, Vitero had to adapt its processes and launched a quick-start offer specifically tailored to the current situation.
- The crucial element for developing a close teacher-student relationship is regular exchange, rather than physical proximity.
- Trainers should therefore focus on interaction and collaboration to strengthen the relationship.
- Good training allows a trainer in the virtual room to respond to common complaints like “I cannot hear you” with confidence, and design interactive lessons that generate discussion.
- LMS and virtual classrooms are a perfect match. A learning management system with web-based training achieves independence in terms of time, inclusion of a larger target group and longer applicability – the half-life of contents. A virtual classroom removes the need for elaborate content creation. Moreover, live communication means that any comprehension issues can be addressed directly. Combining the two tools creates synergies between their benefits and provides optimal support for the realisation of blended learning concepts.
- Incorrectly modelled 3D avatars are rather difficult to navigate in the virtual room. A more effective approach is to limit 3D content illustration to specific points where this boosts visualisation.
Rock 'n' roll in the virtual classroom
Find out how virtual instructions work, what you should pay special attention to and which providers offer virtual classrooms software.
Blended Learning Recipe
Blended learning is like a balanced meal. In our interview instructional designer Malte Arends reveals his recipe for perfect blended learning, every time.
E-Learning Punk is an article and talk series for all L&D Pros who want to dare something and believe that digital training has to be colourful and loud.